The Democratic Alliance in the KwaDukuza Local Municipality is pleased to learn of the commitment by the South African National Roads Agency Limited (SANRAL) to implement safety measures at the N2 Umhlali River roadworks site.
This after the DA had written to the agency, following multiple accidents at the same location. In one incident, a bus carrying 75 passengers crashed into the concrete median barriers. Emergency services stabilised and transported 15 injured to hospital.
We are pleased to note the recent commitment by SANRAL to install the following safety measures:
• Various warnings and mandatory signage at 100m intervals. This will alert drivers and reinforce the alert until such time as the lane is dropped;
• Self-lighting road studs on approach to and within the crossovers. These will provide drivers with a lit line to follow in all conditions and;
• Rumble strips on approach to the crossovers. These will provide an audible alert to drivers which will supplement the visual alert.
In addition to this, the DA has also requested visible safety measures, including:
• A speed-monitoring device to alert motorists of their speed before entering the zone, i.e. slow down LED signage;
• The use of highly reflective material on the concrete median barriers and;
• Ongoing engagements with the Road Traffic Inspectorate (RTI), to ensure motorist compliance.
We will continue to monitor this high accident zone and ensure that our requests to SANRAL are urgently implemented in order to prevent further risk to lives and fatalities. In addition to this, we have requested to be fully appraised on the design and repair work process in order to ensure this economic route is fully operational.